24 January 2009

Things about Japan: Face masks

This is probably less a thing about Japan and more a thing about Asia. In any case, it's especially noticeable in the winter and early spring when everyone is either battling with or trying to prevent catching a cold or, in the case of spring, to prevent the aggravation of allergies.

In general, face masks are worn first and foremost to prevent passing a current cold on to others. While it isn't required, it is considered polite to wear one. Most Japanese, when told that this habit is almost purely an Asian one, find this to be a most interesting bit of news. To them, I suppose, someone who doesn't wear a face mask when sick is akin to someone who doesn't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze. Fortunately for me, teachers are exempt from this while teaching, as speaking in muffled tones often prevents one from being able to teach effectively. This is especially true of language teachers, so I'm given somewhat of a break in his regard.

Masks come in different shapes and sizes. Some are rectangular layers of gauzy material that sit over the mouth and the nose; others are thick paper that is cut to form around the top of the nose and down to the chin. In Taiwan, I noticed that many people wore fabric face masks, an environmentally friendly type, though I have yet to see this in Japan.

I've tried wearing a face mask and managed it for about five minutes. I would generally equate the sensation with a slow and stifling suffocation. Being sick means one already can't breathe well; add a mask to this and one is forced to draw in air through a layer of fabric or paper that holds in the dampness and heat of one's breath. The longer it's worn, the worse this sensation becomes. I can't imagine wearing it for longer than a few minutes, though I suppose one can become used to it after repeated use.

I have to applaud the Japanese (and Asians in general) for their adherence to this system. I do admire the way in which it puts others before one's own comfort. That being said, I don't think I'll be able to follow such polite suffering any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment