09 April 2009

Travels with Parents

AKA: Who's the Parent Now?


My parents recently visited me here in Japan, and I have to say that it was one of the best trips I've had yet. We all had fun, we accomplished a lot, and only a few things went wrong during the 9 days they were here. 

Rather than go into detail of all the places we visited, as that would be a long entry indeed, I'll
just write a quick list.

Kyoto
 - Sanjusangen-do
 - Kiyomizudera (Kiyomizu Temple)
 - Fushimi Inari 
 - Nijo Castle
 - Maruyama Park
 - Daikakuji
 - Ryoanji
 - Kinkakuji (the Golden Pavilion)
Tokyo
 - Sensouji
 - Studio Ghibli Museum
 - Ueno Park
 - Imperial Palace
 - Harajuku
 - Yoyogi Park
 - Meiji Jingu (Meiji Shrine)




We also visited Ota briefly, and my parents were able to visit both my middle and elementary school, meet my teachers, and even meet some of the Japanese families who have been helping to take care of me here.

One of the most striking things of traveling in a country where I was the one best able to communicate was the way in which our normal roles were reversed - instead of being their child, it was as if I was their parent for the nine days they were here.  I ordered food, I checked us in to hotels, I figured out where we were going and how we would get there. I think it was a fun change of pace for all involved. 

I have three main stories from our travels that I think are worth chronicling in detail:

1. Dinner with the Saitos
2. Cutting Japanese Men Down to Size
3. North Korea and Other Difficulties

Look forward to these entries in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment