04 June 2009

Walks in the Evening

Sometimes I take walks in the evening, just as the sky is darkening. My favorite places to walk by at those times are the rice fields. Now that the weather is warmer, it's a somewhat dangerous place to be; the standing water produces masses of bugs, many of which seem to enjoy eating foreign food (aka: me). The pay off is worth it, though, because that mixture of bugs and open air allows for the most amazing stunts of bats at feed I've ever seen.


The area I usually pass on these walks has a large set of fields, so I am guaranteed to see at least three or four bats flying around every time I go. The way their silvery forms bank turns, suddenly change directions, flap frantically to gain altitude again ... all of it gives a strong impression of chaos, and yet, in watching longer, I can't help but notice the grace of it every time. 

I could try to make this into an analogy of something here - either of something Japanese or my own experiences here - but, in truth, I just like watching bats fly in the evening. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Came across your blog while searching for "mayonnaise corn pizza" (My co-workers didn't believe me)! My wife and I taught English in Japan for 18 months, that was five years ago (wow time flies). We really miss it, and can't wait to go back someday soon. Your blog is great! Thanks for jump-starting the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google tells me that most of my hits come from people searching that string ... it seems to be a popular subject. :P

    Thank you for your compliments! I'm approaching the end of my time here, but it's good to know I'll have this blog to look back on and enjoy.

    Hope you get to visit Japan again soon!

    ReplyDelete